Where do I file my claim?
Your claim must be filed in the small claims division of the municipal court or county court having “jurisdiction”. A small claims court has “jurisdiction” if the transaction or incident on which your claim is based took place in that court’s geographical territory. Regardless of where the transaction or incident took place, a small claims court also has jurisdiction if the defendant (or any one defendant, if there is more than one) lives, or has his, her, or its principal place of business in the court’s territory. Check the territorial boundaries of each court that appears to have jurisdiction. Be sure to file your claim with the proper court, the court that has jurisdiction. You can do this by calling the clerk of the court which appears to have jurisdiction and asking whether this court has jurisdiction over your claim. It is necessary for the court to give the defendant official notice that he, she, or it is being sued. The clerk of the court serves such notice by mail, or has the notice served by an officer of the court. You must give the clerk the defendant’s complete name and address so this notice can be served. If you do not know where the defendant lives or works, you may, in some circumstances, be able to give notice of the filing of your claim by publication. However, small claims courts cannot give notice by publication. If you must use publication, file your claim in the general division of the court.

Show All Answers

1. What is small claims court?
2. What cases can the court handle?
3. Who can sue or be sued?
4. Where do I file my claim?
5. How do I file my claim?
6. What does it cost?
7. I’ve been sued! What do I do now?
8. What if the claim is settled before hearing?
9. How do I prepare my case?
10. What is mediation?
11. How does mediation work?
12. Why mediate?
13. What if I do not appear at the hearing / trial?
14. What if I win or lose?
15. How do I get my money?